Thursday 19 February 2009

I Get the Nicest Rejection Letters

Many thanks for submitting your work to F- Press. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you; I thought your submission had potential and wanted to give it a proper assessment.
As a very small press we have to be extremely selective about which books we do decide to publish and unfortunately we will not be taking on yours. I felt there were some good ideas here but that the manuscript as a whole was not what we're looking for at F-. I like much of your writing style, however, and wish you every success with this.


Sigh. I only have one publisher to hear back from now. On the plus side, any letters I have had back that have personal comments have always been positive. They don't tell me to Naff Off and Never Darken Their Doors Again. I seem to have 'potential'.


Maybe they'll like this next one more. 35,000 words and counting...


Here is some cake to cheer you up.


2 comments:

LL said...

What is the difference between a writer and an author?

An author has a friend in the publishing business...

Victoria Elliott said...

According to Rachel Simon in The Writer's Survival Guide which is admittedly mostly far too touchyfeely Americany psycho-babbly, rejection letters which say nice things are triumphs which ought to be celebrated...